Post by DoctoriDuniya
Did you know that the majority of children and adults are at higher risk of developing type 1 diabetes in India? It is found that 90% of children with diabetes suffer from type1 diabetes. According to research, juvenile diabetes affects 17 per 100,000 children attributing to obesity, unhealthy diets, sedentary lifestyles, metabolic syndrome, etc. Previously it is known that children with a family history of diabetes are at greater risk. However, based on statistics, the majority of children developed diabetes without having a prior family history, so the exact cause that triggers diabetes is still unknown to many of the health researchers.
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) is one of the most common illnesses affecting one-half of children and adolescents. So it is extremely important for the parents to be aware of juvenile diabetes and to ward off its serious and adverse health effects.
What are the symptoms associated with juvenile diabetes?
Here are some of the symptoms that may warn you that your child has developed juvenile diabetes.
1) Increased Thirst
3) Weight loss
4) Frequent urination
5) Stomach Aches
7) Behavioral Problem
8) Recurrent abdominal pain
9) Unexplainable ill health
10) Loss of appetite
12) Fruity smell on the breath
It is highly recommended that if your child is suffering from any of the above health issues. He or she needs to undergo a diabetes diagnosis test to ensure good health and prevent future risk.
How parents can help their children with diabetes?
If your child has developed type 1 diabetes, you need to be more vigilant about your child's health. Here are some tips for you that would help you balance your child's blood glucose levels.
1) Monitoring your child sugar level is important. So you need to be aware of the testing process, as you may often require testing your child sugar level.
2) You should be aware of the insulin injecting procedures.
3) You should keep eyes on the symptom or behavior of your child.
4) Children with diabetes need encouragement and support to stay positive. So, provide enough support to them.
5) Diabetes has often linked with depression. Ensure you properly take care of your child to prevent depression.
6) Teach your child to practice good self-care.
What type of food should children with diabetes consume?
When it comes to regulating diabetes, diet plays an important factor. Some of the considerable points are listed below:
1) Encourage your child to eat more fibrous and carbohydrate-rich foods. A balanced and healthy diet is the key to a healthy life.
2) Be careful with sweet foods. You may take doctor consultation to know the amount of sugar you can consume.
3) Encourage your child to cut down the consumption of high salty food, cholesterol, fatty.
4) Encourage your child to inculcate exercise habit in day to day life.
“Be Informed, Be Healthy”