“Wanted: Leaders for a TB-Free World. We can make history. End TB”
Tuberculosis is one of the most potentially serious medical conditions, but fortunately the disease can be cured. Every year on March 24, World Tuberculosis Day is commemorated globally to raise public awareness about the epidemic of the disease and encourage people to get their efforts to totally eradicate the disease. In this year, the theme for World Tuberculosis Day is “Wanted: Leaders for a TB-Free World. We can make history. End TB”.
A special focus has been given to encourage and engage maximum of people from all corner of the world to come forward and help spread awareness about the disease. Top priority has been given to indulge people to put extra effort to eradicate it completely from all over the world. The motive is to raise awareness about the completely curable disease and government initiatives of DOTS treatment which includes tuberculosis medicine at very low cost. According to a study, it is found that more than 1.7 million people die every year of this deadly disease. The disease takes life of more than 4000 people every day.
Tuberculosis is an airborne disease which is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The disease mostly affects the lungs but can also affect other parts of the body such as lymph nodes, intestine, bone, kidney, brain and spine. The disease gets transmitted through the droplets when any infected person sneezes, spits or coughs and another susceptible person inhales that through breathing.
Symptoms You Should Never Avoid At Any Cost-
1. If your cough lasts longer for two or more weeks.
2. Coughing up blood.
3. Loss of appetite
4. Unintentional weight loss.
5. Fever, chills, night sweats and fatigue.
Some most important tips and facts on tuberculosis-
1. Tuberculosis is a contagious disease in which an infected person can easily transmit bacteria to week person. So it is recommended to infected person to take special care and follow safety tips to prevent transmission. It is advised to cover your mouth whenever you sneeze or cough. Do not spit openly. As the germs coming out from the cough and spit can highly infect a person.
2. Give a little extra attention to your body and signals it give you. Some of the symptoms such as cough, fever, night sweats, and weight loss should not be ignored.
3. There is a belief that only poor gets tuberculosis, but as per the research it can affect any people of the world of any stata. People with weak immune system, certain medical condition, smoking, alcohol, substance abuse are at high risk of getting disease.
Some common medical conditions are-
4) Certain types of Cancers
5) Some drugs used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's disease and psoriasis.
4. Tuberculosis is highly preventable and can be completely cured if the prescribed medicines are taken regularly for the full duration.
"Stay Informed ,Stay Healthy"