Are you experiencing swelling in your legs, ankles, feet, or thighs and wondering what causing it? Leg swelling can be a warning sign that your body has developed some disease which requires immediate and appropriate treatment. Swelling could be due to fluid retention, unhealthy weight or obesity, blood clot, an old injury, being inactive, wearing tight clothes, heart disease, prolonged standing or sitting, liver disease, lung disease, kidney problem and many more. Usually it does not pose a serious threat on your health but the problem should not be avoided and you are advised to talk to your doctor to know the underlying cause of it.
With leg swelling, you might also experience symptoms like shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chest pain, coughing blood, dizziness or fainting. Talk to your doctor right away because your body may have developed lungs or heart problems. If you are in the middle-aged, you are more vulnerable to develop leg swelling.
Diseases or Factors which can cause fluid to build up –
1. Acute kidney failure
2. Cardiomyopathy (disease of heart muscle)
3. Cirrhosis (Chronic liver problem)
4. Blood Clot in the veins
5. Heart failure
6. Hormone Problem
7. Blockage in the lymph system
8. Certain Medication
10. Sitting /Standing for a long time
11. Broken leg, injury
14. Rheumatoid arthritis
17.Unhealthy and Sedentary lifestyles
Before consulting your doctor, consider the following tips -
1. Cutting down your salt consumption in your diet would be beneficial to lessen your build up of fluid.
2. Avoid standing or sitting for long time as inactivity leads to swelling in legs.
3. Avoid wearing tight stocking or socks as it limits the flow of blood circulation.
4. Keep eyes on the medication you are taking, contact your doctor if you experience swelling.
5. Regular exercise also boosts blood circulation. So do not skip exercise.
6. Work to gain ideal weight.
7. Be active
8. Stretching can also help at great extent.
Diagnosis and treatment-
To help diagnose the underlying cause of the leg swelling, your doctor may suggest you these test-
1. Blood tests
2. Kidney and liver function
"BE INFORMED,BE HEALTHY"
If you would like to know more about any of the health issues, health information and health feed, subscribe to our blog. Our e-mail updates will also keep you informed about our company, new products and stories.
Subscribe to keep yourself updated with latest articles and health news.