As temperatures start to fall in winter, people become more vulnerable to get cardiovascular problem. Researchers have shown that number of heart attack occur more in months like January and February compared to June and July. Cold weather creates situation in which your heart needs to work harder and may lead to heart attack or heart failure.
People above 60 are more prone to experience coronary heart diseases as temperature drops. There are several factors and situations which directly contribute to heart attacks. Some of them are cold exposure, overexertion, overheating, immobility, sedentary lifestyle, consumption of unhealthy foods, influenza, missed medication and high blood pressure.
What causes heart attack in winter?
1. Winter has been linked to high blood pressure and increased protein level. These situations increase the chances of blood clots that lead to heart attack.
2. When temperature drops, heart works harder to maintain body temperature. It narrows the arteries and restricts the oxygen rich blood flow to your heart. This situation highly contributes to heart attack.
3. Hypothermia is also biggest risk factors which contribute to heart attack. It is a condition in which body temperature falls below the normal.That is why it is recommended to dress up warmly whenever you head out from the home in cold.
4. Lack of sunlight or vitamin D also put you at risk of heart attack.
People should take extra precautions in winter to minimize the risk of getting heart attack. It is also advisable to know the warning signs of heart failure to seek timely medical help to avoid permanent heart damage or death. Cardiac emergency needs immediate treatment to increase the chances of survival.
So here are the tips you should follow to decrease the risk of heart attack-
1. Be aware of the symptoms- Its symptoms might vary from person to person and some people may experience no symptoms at all. But it is essential to know its common symptoms which include chest discomfort, chest pain, pain the neck, arm or stomach, shortness of breath, sweating, anxiety, vomiting or light headedness.
2. Follow prescribed medication- Your doctor may prescribe you medicine if you have cardiovascular problem which reduces the occurrence of blood clot and heart failure.
3. Check your cholesterol- High cholesterol is one of the important causes which lead to cardiovascular problems like stroke, cardiac arrest and heart failure. So get your cholesterol test regularly to prevent danger.
4. Quit smoking and alcohol- According to physicians, smoking and alcohol are great contributors in heart attack. So try to quit to prevent cardiovascular problems.
5. Adopt healthy lifestyle- Unhealthy and sedentary lifestyles are the major factors for cardiovascular diseases. Sedentary unhealthy schedule, unhealthy diet, consumption of saturated and trans fats, stress, anxiety, obesity and smoking increase the risk of heart attack.By following active lifestyles,ideal sleep,healthy diet, exercise, maintaining ideal weight you can greatly fight off cardiovascular diseases.
"BE INFORMED,BE HEALTHY"
If you would like to know more about any of the health issues, health information and health feed, subscribe to our blog. Our e-mail updates will also keep you informed about our company, new products and stories.
Subscribe to keep yourself updated with latest articles and health news.