Post by DoctoriDuniya
World Osteoporosis Day (WOD) is celebrated on every 20th October with the purpose of promoting awareness regarding bone related problems and diseases. It aims to raise better understanding of the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of osteoporosis-a bone related disease that makes bone weak and brittle. This day reminds people to live good quality of life and to love their bone to prevent future complications.
Important points on osteoporosis-
1. 25 million people are diagnosed with osteoporosis every year.
2. Women are more susceptible to get osteoporosis than men.
3. More than 1.5 million bone fracturesare caused due to osteoporosis.
4. More than half of the cases of the osteoporosis are left undiagnosed and untreated.
5. Your chance of developing osteoporosis increases with the increase in your age.
6. Calcium-rich food, regular exercise, and good nutrition promote healthy bone.
Everyone wants to be active, look dynamic and live healthy and disease free life, but how healthy are we and our bones? On this osteoporosis day, we would enlighten the facts about the bone health, problems, diagnosis and treatment, and also the ways of the prevention.
What is Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a dreadful medical condition that reduces the mass of the bone and makes it weak, porous, and brittle. Osteoporosis can lead to bone fracture even on the small jolt, sneeze or collision.
What are the Risk factors?
1. Advanced Age or Old Age (60+)
2. Lack of exercise or physical activity
4. Alcohol Consumption
5. Calcium less diet
6. Stress and depression
There is no permanent solution to this problem. Its treatment can give you only temporary relief. So it is advisableto love your bone and follow prevention methods because prevention is better than cure.
Here is the list you can follow in order to prevent Osteoporosis-
1. Increase your Calcium intake: Yes, Calcium plays an important role when it comes to your overall bone health. Increase the calcium-rich food in your diet.
2. Replacing caffeine with milk: Excessive consumption of caffeine put you at risk of osteoporosis.So it is advisable to replace your one cup of coffee with milk.
3. Reduce Sugar Intake: If you want to live a sweet life then surely you need to reduce your sugar consumption. Excess intake of sugar adversely affects your health. It blocks the absorption of the calcium from the food we eat.
3. Salt Intake: We already know that excess sugar consumption leads to high blood pressure and hypertension.People with these problems lose more calcium through urine than others. So cut down your salt consumptions too to prevent calcium scarcity.
4. Protein Intake: Balance your protein intake in your diet. As the excess of the protein forms acid in the body that requires calcium to neutralize it. Your protein intake should be less than 60 grams per day.
5. Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Though we know that it has become difficult to maintain healthy and active lifestyle due to our sedentary job schedule and busy life. But regular exercise, yoga, reducing smoking/alcohol consumption can prevent you to great extent.
"Stay Informed ,Stay Healthy"